Creating a Hospitality Space That Rocks with Lighting Design
When it comes to hospitality spaces, the customer experience is everything.
Creating a warm and inviting atmosphere is crucial to ensuring the comfort and satisfaction of guests. Many aspects contribute to the overall vibe of a space, but none more than proper lighting design. You can see the difference when visiting 2-star and 3-star hotels that don’t have a lighting designer. 4-star and above hotels usually have a lighting designer, and it shows.
From assisting in wayfinding to affecting guests’ moods, lighting design plays an important part in the overall customer experience. Professional lighting designers are artists who possess the expertise to transform hospitality spaces and really make them sing while working within budget constraints.
Setting the Mood
In addition to color temperature, the intensity of light also affects our mood. Bright light enhances alertness and energy levels, while dimmer light induces a sense of calm and relaxation. By carefully considering these factors, lighting designers can create atmospheres that align with the desired ambiance of different spaces within a hospitality establishment.
Things to Consider
- Color Temperature: The color temperature in functional area affects everything from a person’s alertness to their perception of value.
- Multiple Lighting Techniques: It takes at least 3-4 lighting techniques in each room to create visual interest and elicit an emotional response.
- Layering: Spaces will include a mix of downlighting, feature lighting, art lighting, architecture lighting and decorative lighting. Proper layering is crucial to creating the proper mood.
- Length of Investment: How long the developer will own or operate the property could have a tremendous impact on budgeting and fixture selection.
- Brand Consistency: The level of tailoring the brand executes at other properties should be considered.
- Neighboring Properties: Lighting can be used to gain patrons over neighboring competition.
- Control Strategies: The right strategies can attain the vision for the ambiance while lowering cost.
- Style Enhancement: From relaxed to fun to funky to formal, lighting can support the other trades to enhance that objective.
- Budget: In many cases, lighting designers can give the project more for less cost.
The Importance of Hiring a Lighting Designer
Do you have a vision for your next project? Let us help you bring it to life.